The Key Number: PSA ≦ 6.5
Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) is a type of protein produced by the prostate gland. Its levels increase with age, and the normal rates are ≦3.5 for those under age 59.; ≦4.5 for those between ages 60 to 69; and ≦6.5 for those between ages 70 to 79.
High PSA levels could be a sign of prostatitis (infection of the prostate) or benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate). In some, it may even be a marker for prostate cancer. However, diagnosis of prostate cancer is usually determined by digital rectal exams and ultrasounds of the rectum and prostate.
If the possibilities of prostate cancer cannot be ruled out, a biopsy would be done for pathological diagnosis. Patients who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer can use PSA to assess and track their response to therapy.
- 攝護腺 (shè hù xiàn) or 前列腺 (qián liè xiàn)- Prostate gland.
- 攝護腺炎 (shè hù xiàn yán)-Prostatitis, or infection of the prostate. 炎: infection.
- 攝護腺特異抗原 (shèhùxiàn tèyì kàngyuán)- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA). 攝護腺: prostate gland. 特異: distinct, peculiar, specific. 抗原: Antigen.
- 數值 (shù zhí)-Number, level, score.
- 良性攝護腺肥大 (liángxìng shèhùxiàn féidà)- Benign prostatic hyperplasia. 良性: positive, good, benign (tumor). 攝護腺: prostate gland. 肥大: swelling, hypertrophy.
- 標記 (biāo jì)- Marker.
- 排除(pái chú)- To rule out.
- 直腸指診 (zhí cháng zhǐ zhěn)or 肛診 (gāng zhěn- Digital rectal exam. 直腸: rectum. 指: finger. 診: exam. 肛: anus.
- 切片檢查(qiē piàn jiǎn chá)- biopsy. 切片: slice. 檢查: examination.
- 效果(xiào guǒ)-Results, effect.
- 超音波 (chāo yīn bō)-Ultrasound. 超: ultra, super. 音: sound. 波: waves.
- 確診 (què zhěn)- To make a definite diagnosis.
*Original article “PSA ≦ 6.5” from 聯合報D2。Date: 中華民國一〇〇年十一月十六日。