- 心知肚明 (xīn zhī dù míng)- To be well aware. 心: heart, mind. 知: to know. 肚: gut. 明: clarity; to understand.
Example: Although Mrs. Chen is well-aware of her husband’s affair, she doesn’t have the courage to expose him.
- 心甘情願 (xīn gān qíng yuàn)-Out of one’s will; completely willing. 心: heart, mind, soul. 甘: voluntary. 情: feeling, sentiment. 願: wish, desire.
Example: Parents are willing to give all they can to guarantee the best future for their children.
- 意猶未盡 (yì yóu wèi jìn)-To wish to continue something. 意: idea, thought, intentions. 猶: like, similar to. 未: not yet. 盡: completed.
Example: The reception ended before everyone was ready for the night to end. A group of people then went to a bar for the after party.
- 誠心誠意 (chéng xīn chéng yì)-Sincerely and earnestly. 誠: sincere, honest. 心: heart, mind, soul. 意: intentions.
Example: He sincerely wants to be friends with you; why don’t you just go out with him?
- 提心吊膽 (tí xīn diào dǎn)-To be on edge. 提: to carry. 心: heart. 吊: hang. 膽: gallbladder.
Example: He’s been on edge, worried for his job, ever since he unintentionally offended his supervisor.
- 掉以輕心 (diào yǐ qīng xīn)-To be complacent, to lower one’s guard, or to treat something lightly. 掉: swing. 輕心: careless, casual.
Example: Even though this is a safe neighborhood, one should still be vigilant at night.
- 心平氣和 (xīn píng qì hé)-Calm and even tempered. 心: heart, mind, soul. 平: peaceful. even. 氣: breath; spirit. 和: harmonious.
Example: He is well-tempered and is calm even when dealing with unpleasant situations.
- 別出心裁 (bié chū xīn cái)-To come up with a new idea or original approach. 別: different. 出: come up with. 心裁: idea, concept.
Example: She came up with an idea and made a dress out of her curtains.
- 賞心悅目(shǎng xīn yuè mù)-Something that is pleasing and delightful. 賞: to appreciate. 心: heart, soul, mind. 悅: please, happy. 目: eyes.
Example: She couldn’t stop smiling after that delightful movie.
- 粗心大意 (cū xīn dà yì)-To be negligent or careless. 粗心: careless. 大意: careless.
Example: He’s so careless that he forgets things all the time.