- 躊躇滿志 (chóu chú mǎn zhì)-To be immensely proud of one’s success; to be content. 躊躇: indecisive. 滿: satisfied. 志: will. 。
Example: On their daughter’s graduation day, her parents smiled from ear to ear with pride.
- 白璧微瑕(bái bì wēi xiá)-A slight blemish on a piece of white jade. Used to describe a small mistake . 白: white. 璧: a piece of jade with hole in it. 微: slight. 瑕: defect, flaw.
Example: Even the most senior staff in the company makes mistakes, but this one is just a small mishap that won’t hurt the company’s image.
- 突如其來 (tū rú qí lái)-An unexpected or sudden occurrence. 突: suddenly, abruptly, unexpectedly. 如: as if. 來: come.
Example: She was drenched by the sudden rain.
- 無可匹敵 (wú kě pǐ dí)-Unparallelled; unique in kind or quality. 無: none. 可: able. 匹敵: to rival or equal.
Example: His English language skills have been unparalleled to his peers since middle school, so we were not at all surprised when he got a perfect score on his TOEFL exam.
- 鍥而不捨 (qiè’ ér bù shě)-To persevere; to chisel away at something. 鍥: carve. 而: and. 不: not. 捨: give up.
Example: His perseverance pushed him to reach the finish line, completing the marathon.
- 冒冒失失 (mào mào shī shī)-Lacking care, acting in haste. 冒: risk. 失: to lose, to make a mistake, to neglect.
Example: Bob’s lack of attention to detail has made it difficult for Bob’s boss to extend his full trust.
- 一不做，二不休 (yī bù zuò, ‘èr bù xiū)-Either give up, or follow through from beginning to end. 不: no. 做: act, do. 休: to rest, to end.
Example: We should always finish what we’ve started. If you’re not going to follow through, don’t even start.