- 有求必應 (yǒu qiú bì yìng)-to get whatever is asked. 有: to have. 求: to ask, to wish, to request. 必: must. 應: respond.
Example: As the only child, she always gets what she wants.
- 悼念(dào niàn)-to grieve, to mourn. 悼: to grieve, to lament. 念: to think of, to remember.
Example: People use their own religions to mourn friends and family who have passed away.
- 熱身 (rè shēn)-warm-up. 熱: hot, warm. 身: body.
Example: To avoid the possibility of sports injuries , warm-up exercises before the actual sport is very important.
- 惆悵 (chóu chàng)- melancholy, depression
Example: He felt depressed because he didn’t do well on the test.
- 恍神 (huǎng shén)- to zone out, to space out
Example: Work can distract me when I’m busy, but whenver there’s a spare moment and I’m reminded of my worries , I tend to become spacey.
- 遲疑 (chí yí)-hesitation, reservation. 遲: delay. 疑: doubt.
Example: Some decisions need to be made on the spot, as hesitation might lead to a missed opportunity.
- 騰出時間 (téng chū shí jiān )-to make time. 騰出: to make, to part. 時間: time.
Example: Children should try their best to make time for their parents.
- 號淘大哭-to cry loudly. 號淘: loud cry. 哭: cry.
Example: On the first day of daycare, children often cry out when they see their parents leave for work.
- 似懂非懂 (sì dǒng fēi dǒng)-to appear as if understanding, but not really. 似: seemingly, as if. 懂: understand.
Example: Although she only understood part of the conversation between the adults, she was certain that it was about something serious.
- 內疚(nèi jiù)-to feel guilty, to have qualms about. 內: within, inside. 疚: sorrow.
Example: She feels bad for stealing from her mother, but she’s also unwilling to put the money back.