- 叫苦不迭 (jiào kǔ bu dié)-To complain incessantly. 叫: to cry out, to shout. 苦: hardship, suffering. 不: no. 迭: repeatedly, frequently.
Example: Ms. Wong’s love for shopping has led to many complaints from Mr. Wong, who holds a shrinking wallet.
- 匪夷所思 (fěi yí suǒ sī)-Unthinkable or extraordinary actions or ideas. 匪: same. 非 (fēi), not. 夷: ordinary. 思: think.
Example: This is a difficult murder case that has yet to be solved even after ten years.
- 唯利是圖 (wéi lì shì tú)- To seek personal profit over everything. 唯: only. 利: gains, profit. 圖: to covet, to seek.
Example: The founder of this company seeks profit over everything, selling his products at high prices with high returns despite their cheap materials and l0w quality.
- 得不償失 (dé bù cháng shī)- The gains do not make up for the losses. 得: to gain. 不: not. 償: return, to compensate. 失: to lose.
Example: After her breakup, she slept for weeks, missing her classes and thus affecting her grades. So not worth it.
- 打草驚蛇 (dǎ cǎo jīng shé)- To inadvertently alert an enemy. 打: to hit. 草: grass. 驚: startle, alert. 蛇: snake.
Example: In the game of hide and seek, you must not make any sounds to alert the seeker, in case of getting caught.
MDBG Chinese-English Dictionary http://www.mdbg.net
Yahoo 奇摩字典 http://tw.dictionary.yahoo.com
Bai Du 百科 http://baike.baidu.com